Sunday, July 25, 2021

Questions

 I have a daily Bible reading plan. Every year I read a different translation or version of the Bible to get a different perspective on what I’m learning. I try to answer all the questions when I read a passage. 

Who?  Who is the passage talking to or about?

What?  What is the message the passage is trying to convey to the original audience ? What does it mean for my life today?

When?  When was this written and what was going on at that time?  Am I going through something similar?  Can this apply to our current time/environment?

Where?  Where did this take place?  Is it relevant to my city, family, or church?

Why?  Why was this message important?  What can I learn from it?

How?  How do I apply this to my life?


I also ask, “how do I know this is true?”  None of this even matters if God is not real or if the Bible is not truly his inspired word. I know so many people who claim to believe in God, but they think the Bible is just a man-made book of basically nothing more than fables. “If so,” I ask them, “how do you know what is true about God?”  I usually get comments about how God speaks to them. Well, even my schizophrenic patients seem to think”God” speaks to them. 

We need a reliable, unchanging source of truth by which to measure all other “truths” or we could just believe anything we want. 

I praise God that he has not left us floundering in the dark. We do have his trusted Word, The Bible, and there is so much evidence that it is true!  (Please read my other posts for some of this evidence)

No comments: